Registration and Licensing Task Force
The representatives on the Registration and Licensing Task Force consider licensing practices across Australia. They share common goals:
- to develop and promote national policies and procedures
- to harmonise driver licensing schemes, and
- ensure the seamless transfer of driver licences across jurisdictional borders.
The Task Force facilitates collaboration between jurisdictions to ensure best practice is consistently implemented.
While a driver’s licence is not intended to be an identity document it is widely recognised and used in the community for this purpose. The Registration and Licensing Task Force works to ensure the security and integrity of the driver licence card is upheld through improving business innovations such as the Document Verification Service, national best practice customer enrolment frameworks and biometric identifiers such as facial recognition.
The Registration and Licensing Task Force coordinates a research program that is working towards:
- improved integration and efficient utilisation of data through NEVDIS,
- increased consistency and efficiency in registration and licensing across jurisdictions,
- enhanced security of Australian driver licences and vehicle identification,
- improved online and digital registration and licensing service delivery to enable more convenient and accessible services,
- vehicle registration schemes which encourage use of safe and efficient vehicles,
- improved access to driver licences for indigenous Australians, and
- improved management of higher risk drivers.
Registration and Licensing Projects
The research program runs from 2016-20, in line with the Austroads Strategic Plan and Operational Plan. The current registration and licensing projects are:
|SRL6042||Improving Driver Licensing Programs for Indigenous Road Users and Transitioning Learnings to Other User Groups|
|SRL6046||Online Survey Report of Registration and Licensing Practices|
|SRL6083||Development of Damage Assessment Criteria for a National Written Off Heavy Vehicle Register|
|RS1854||Better Management of End-of-Life Vehicles|
|RS1911||Car and Motorcycle Hazard Perception Test - Phase 2|
|SRL2076||Opportunities for Driver Licence Harmonisation|
The Registration and Licensing Task Force is part of the Austroads Safety Program.
Safety Program Manager: David Bobbermen
Safety Program Coordinator: Leonie Pattinson
Austroads | Level 9 | 287 Elizabeth Street | Sydney NSW 2000
P: +61 2 8265 3335