Typical Characteristic of Contract Work
- Large culvert including link slab or cast-in-situ deck units and multiple bay (>10 bays) culverts and other drainage structures.
- Large flood ways.
- Basic earth retaining structures.
- Earth retaining structures, excluding mechanically stabilised earth.
- Basic earthworks.
- Simple spread footing foundations. eg: large base slabs.
- Foundations for gantries.
Simple expansion joints.
- Simple traffic management (e.g. rural roads).
- Small stream crossing.
- Small cantilever retaining wall.
Environment, community and stakeholder management
- Simple community/stakeholder management.
- Simple environment management.
Minimum Requirements: Company Profile
Minimum period of operation
Approximately three years as a head contractor or four years as a major subcontractor.
Good general performance contracts relevant to R1/B1.
An independently audited system that meets the requirements of a checklist to be provided by the Assessing Authority.
A third party JAS-ANZ certified Integrated Management System.
Accreditation under the Australian Government’s Building and Construction OH&S Accreditation Scheme is deemed to satisfy the WHS (OHS) requirement for prequalification at all levels.
Where third party certification of management systems is required for categories R1 /B1, independent auditor that assesses the Applicant’s management systems against the checklists or certifies the Integrated Management System must be:
- a conformity assessment body accredited by the Joint Accreditation System for Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) to the relevant standard, or
- registered by Exempla Global (or equivalent), with experience in the civil construction industry.
Third party certificates must state that the certification specifically applies to road / bridge construction. A reference to other categories alone (eg civil construction) is insufficient.
Minimum Requirements: Company Experience
Experience in successfully delivering contracts
Sound experience with at least two projects in the last three years relevant to the category requested.
- Demonstrated a sound understanding of the principles of project management.
- Demonstrated successful utilisation of project management.
- Structures the management of its projects appropriately for R1/B1-type contracts.
Has successfully participated in partnering/relationship management at a level relevant to category R1/B1 and demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness.
Utilisation of management systems
- Example Quality, WHS Environmental Management Plans are satisfactory.
- Compliance audits show systems are working and any non- conformances have been dealt with effectively.
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rates for the past three years are similar to industry averages.
- Workers compensation claims over an extended period of time are similar to industry averages.
- No instances of serious Improvement Notices/Infringement Notices in the areas of environment/WHS.
- Policy and a structured approach to management of consultants, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Referee comments are generally positive and no issues raised by referees regarding subcontractor management.
Occurrence of industrial relations disputes is similar to industry average.
- Some evidence of professional development /training.
- Readily available HR/IR manuals and policies.
Worksite traffic management performance
- Policies and/or procedures in place and key personnel are appropriately trained and accredited; or an established relationship with accredited Worksite traffic management subcontractor.
- Evidence of effective traffic management performance in relation to works of a similar nature to those in R1/B1.
Minimum Requirements: Technical Capacity
Preferable minimum qualifications and experience of personnel
- Key personnel have the qualifications and experience relevant to the duties and responsibilities of their nominated position.
- Qualified civil engineer having at least three years experience in relevant road works projects who is active in the entity's road/bridge works operations.
- Key professional/para-professional personnel and supervisory staff each have two years experience in road construction contracts.
Demonstrated capability to provide plant and equipment
The entity has demonstrated the capability to provide the plant and equipment required to properly resource R1/B1 contracts