B1 activities plus the majority of the following.
Typical Characteristic of Contract Work
- Cast-in-situ reinforced concrete flat slab bridges.
- Fabricated overhead sign gantries and simple bridges.
- Single span simply supported steel or pre-stressed concrete girders.
- Simple steel bridges.
- Moderate earthworks including guide banks and rock protection.
- Mechanically stabilised earth structures.
- Embankment supporting reliving slab.
- Standard non-complex pile foundations (generally <25m length) without the need for floating equipment or temporary bridges.
- Precast prestressed piles.
Bearings / joints
Construction environment / traffic
- Construction over operating roads (low traffic volumes) and non-electrified rail lines.
- Semiurban work location.
Environment, community and stakeholder management
- Moderate community/stakeholder management.
- Moderate environmental management.
Minimum Requirements: Company Profile
Minimum period of operation
Approximately three years as a head contractor.
Good general performance on R1/B1contracts.
Third party JAS-ANZ certification of the following:
- Quality Management System to ISO 9001.
- OH&S (WHS) Management System to AS/NZS4801 or OHSAS 18001.
- Environmental Management System to ISO 14001.
Accreditation under the Australian Government’s Building and Construction OH&S Accreditation Scheme is deemed to satisfy the WHS (OHS) requirement for prequalification at all levels.
Where third party certification of management systems is required for categories R1 /B1, independent auditor that assesses the Applicant’s management systems against the checklists or certifies the Integrated Management System must be:
- a conformity assessment body accredited by the Joint Accreditation System for Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) to the relevant standard, or
- registered by Exempla Global (or equivalent), with experience in the civil construction industry.
Third party certificates must state that the certification specifically applies to road / bridge construction. A reference to other categories alone (eg civil construction) is insufficient.
Minimum Requirements: Company Experience
Experience in successfully delivering contracts
Sound experience with at least two R1/B1 projects in the last five years.
- Demonstrated a sound understanding of the principles of project management.
- Demonstrated successful utilisation of project management.
- Structures the management of its projects appropriately for R2/B2-type contracts.
Has successfully participated in partnering/relationship management at a level relevant to category R2/B2 and demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness.
- Demonstrated structured approach to engaging adjoining landowners and road users.
- Minimal legitimate complaints from stakeholders on.
- Adequate sample/example communications plans and documented strategies.
- Adequate evidence of meetings/workshops, surveys etc.
Utilisation of management systems
- Example Quality, WHS Environmental Management Plans are satisfactory.
- Compliance audits show systems are working and any non- conformances have been dealt with effectively.
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rates for the past three years are similar to industry averages.
- Workers compensation claims over an extended period of time are similar to industry averages.
- No instances of serious Improvement Notices/Infringement Notices in the areas of environment/WHS.
- Policy and a structured approach to management of consultants, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Referee comments are generally positive and no issues raised by referees regarding subcontractor management.
Occurrence of industrial relations disputes is similar to industry average.
- Some evidence of professional development /training.
- Readily available HR/IR manuals and policies.
Worksite traffic management performance
- Policies and/or procedures in place and key personnel are appropriately trained and accredited; or an established relationship with accredited Worksite traffic management subcontractor.
- Evidence of effective traffic management performance in relation to works of a similar nature to those in R2/B2.
Minimum Requirements: Technical Capacity
Preferable minimum qualifications and experience of personnel
- Key personnel have the qualifications and experience relevant to the duties and responsibilities of their nominated position.
- At least one project manager is a qualified civil engineer with at least five years relevant experience in road/bridge works.
- If not qualified, at least one project manager with 10 years construction experience and two years experience in R1/B1-type contracts.
Demonstrated capability to provide plant and equipment
The entity has demonstrated the capability to provide the plant and equipment required to properly resource R2/B2 contracts.