B2 activities plus the majority of the following:
Typical Characteristic of Contract Work
- Voided slab superstructures.
- Post tensioned cast in-situ structures.
- Complex geometry.
- Complex Cast‑in‑situ composite decks.
- Steel girder bridges.
- Structures carrying significant public utilities.
- Cable stayed pedestrian bridges.
- Complex steel girders.
- Super T’s / T-roffs.
- Complex earthworks, including guide banks and rock protection.
- Detailed earthwork (exposing cast insitu and pre cast piles).
- Foundations which may be complex and/or require deep piling and/or require floating equipment or temporary bridges.
- Include cast insitu piles, which may include simple dry rock sockets.
Bearings / joints
Elastomeric bridge bearings.
Construction environment / traffic
- Construction over operating roads.
- Simple bridge widening of plank unit bridges.
Environment, community and stakeholder management
- Moderate to complex community/stakeholder interfaces and project management aspects.
- Consultant team coordination and/or management.
- Design management.
- Moderate to complex environmental management waterway barrier, low flow channels.
Minimum Requirements: Company Profile
Minimum period of operation
Approximately four years as a head contractor.
Good general performance on R2/B2 contracts.
Third party JAS-ANZ certification of the following:
- Quality Management System to ISO 9001.
- OH&S (WHS) Management System to AS/NZS4801 or OHSAS 18001.
- Environmental Management System to ISO 14001.
Accreditation under the Australian Government’s Building and Construction OH&S Accreditation Scheme is deemed to satisfy the WHS (OHS) requirement for prequalification at all levels.
Where third party certification of management systems is required for categories R1 /B1, independent auditor that assesses the Applicant’s management systems against the checklists or certifies the Integrated Management System must be:
- a conformity assessment body accredited by the Joint Accreditation System for Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) to the relevant standard, or
- registered by Exempla Global (or equivalent), with experience in the civil construction industry.
Third party certificates must state that the certification specifically applies to road / bridge construction. A reference to other categories alone (eg civil construction) is insufficient.
Minimum Requirements: Company Experience
Experience in successfully delivering contracts
Sound experience with at least two R2/B2 projects in the last five years.
- Demonstrated a sound understanding of the principles of project management.
- Demonstrated successful utilisation of project management.
- Utilises a project-specific project management plan for R3/B3 - type contracts or higher.
- Has successfully participated in partnering/relationship management at a level relevant to category R3/B3 and demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness.
- Structured approach to community/stakeholder engagement.
- Evidence of successful community/stakeholder engagement activities on relevant past projects – few complaints.
- Adequate sample/example communications plans and documented strategies.
- Adequate evidence of meetings/workshops, surveys etc.
Utilisation of management systems
- Example Quality, WHS Environmental Management Plans are satisfactory.
- Compliance audits show systems are working and any non- conformances have been dealt with effectively.
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rates for the past three years are similar to industry averages.
- Workers compensation claims over an extended period of time are similar to industry averages.
- No instances of serious Improvement Notices/Infringement Notices in the areas of environment/WHS.
- Policy and a structured approach to management of consultants, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Referee comments are generally positive and no issues raised by referees regarding subcontractor management.
Occurrence of industrial relations disputes is similar to industry average.
- Some evidence of professional development /training.
- Readily available HR/IR manuals and policies.
Worksite traffic management performance
- Policies and/or procedures in place and key personnel are appropriately trained and accredited; or an established relationship with accredited Worksite traffic management subcontractor.
- Evidence of effective traffic management performance in relation to works of a similar nature to those in R3/B3.
Minimum Requirements: Technical Capacity
Preferable minimum qualifications and experience of personnel
- Key personnel have the qualifications and experience relevant to the duties and responsibilities of their nominated position.
- At least half of the project managers are qualified civil engineers.
- At least half of the key professionals/para-professionals and key supervisory staff have five years construction experience and at least two years experience each in R2/B2-type contracts.
Demonstrated capability to provide plant and equipment
The entity has demonstrated the capability to provide plant and equipment required to properly resource R3/B3 contracts.