R1 activities plus the majority of the following.
Typical Characteristic of Contract Work
General features of works
Low complexity at grade intersection and channelisation works. Located at the rural to semi urban environment.
- Significant earthwork including structural fill and rock protection.
- Excavation in rock not requiring blasting.
- Cut or fill with slopes up to 1:2 and up to 5m in height or depth (cutting).
- Significant longitudinal joints with existing pavements.
- Multi-layer granular pavements or simple A/C pavements.
- Medium-sized culvert works, RCBC<1.8m height and <6 bays.
- Cross and longitudinal drainage.
- Interface with bridge construction.
- Minor works associated with traffic signals.
- Non-complex to moderately complex worksite traffic management.
- Typically AADT<500 vehicles/day.
Non-complex service relocation works.
Subcontractors / consultants
Identification and management of select or nominated subcontractors.
Stakeholder / project management
Non-complex environmental risk management.
Cultural heritage and environmental management
- Monitoring during clearing and grubbing.
- Cultural heritage assessment and artefacts collection during monitoring.
- Management of multiple native groups.
- Dilapidation survey, dust monitoring, vibration monitoring.
Accreditation under the Australian Government’s Building and Construction OH&S Accreditation Scheme is deemed to satisfy the WHS (OHS) requirement for prequalification at all levels.
Where third party certification of management systems is required for categories R1 /B1, independent auditor that assesses the Applicant’s management systems against the checklists or certifies the Integrated Management System must be:
- a conformity assessment body accredited by the Joint Accreditation System for Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) to the relevant standard, or
- registered by Exempla Global (or equivalent), with experience in the civil construction industry.
Third party certificates must state that the certification specifically applies to road / bridge construction. A reference to other categories alone (eg civil construction) is insufficient.
Minimum Requirements: Company Profile
Minimum period of operation
Approximately three years as a head contractor.
Good general performance on R1/B1contracts.
Third party JAS-ANZ certification of the following:
- Quality Management System to ISO 9001.
- OH&S (WHS) Management System to AS/NZS4801 or OHSAS 18001.
- Environmental Management System to ISO 14001.
Minimum Requirements: Company Experience
Experience in successfully delivering contracts
Sound experience with at least two R1/B1 projects in the last five years.
- Demonstrated a sound understanding of the principles of project management.
- Demonstrated successful utilisation of project management.
- Structures the management of its projects appropriately for R2/B2-type contracts.
Has successfully participated in partnering/relationship management at a level relevant to category R2/B2 and demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness.
- Demonstrated structured approach to engaging adjoining landowners and road users.
- Minimal legitimate complaints from stakeholders on.
- Adequate sample/example communications plans and documented strategies.
- Adequate evidence of meetings/workshops, surveys etc.
Utilisation of management systems
- Example Quality, WHS Environmental Management Plans are satisfactory.
- Compliance audits show systems are working and any non-conformances have been dealt with effectively.
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rates for the past three years are similar to industry averages.
- Workers compensation claims over an extended period of time are similar to industry averages.
- No instances of serious Improvement Notices/Infringement Notices in the areas of environment/WHS.
- Policy and a structured approach to management of consultants, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Referee comments are generally positive and no issues raised by referees regarding subcontractor management.
- Occurrence of industrial relations disputes is similar to industry average.
- Some evidence of professional development /training.
- Readily available HR/IR manuals and policies.
Worksite traffic management performance
- Policies and/or procedures in place and key personnel are appropriately trained and accredited; or an established relationship with accredited Worksite traffic management subcontractor.
- Evidence of effective traffic management performance in relation to works of a similar nature to those in R2/B2.
Minimum Requirements: Technical Capacity
Preferable minimum qualifications and experience of personnel
- Key personnel have the qualifications and experience relevant to the duties and responsibilities of their nominated position.
- At least one project manager is a qualified civil engineer with at least five years relevant experience in road/bridge works.
- If not qualified, at least one project manager with 10 years construction experience and two years experience in R1/B1-type contracts.
Demonstrated capability to provide plant and equipment
The entity has demonstrated the capability to provide the plant and equipment required to properly resource R2/B2 contracts.