R4 activities plus the majority of the following.
Typical Characteristic of Contract Work
General features of works
- Complex grade separated interchanges, multiple carriageways.
- Motorway on a new urban alignment.
- Construction of zonal embankments.
- Earthworks within 2m of tidal areas.
- Aggressive unsuitable materials including acid sulphate soils.
Permanent variable message signs and complex ITS arrangements.
- Complex staged traffic management in high speed and/or urban environments.
- Multiple alignment changes.
- Typically AADT>100,000 vehicles/day.
Complex consultant team coordination and/or management.
- More complex community/stakeholder interfaces and complex project management.
- Complex design management.
Cultural heritage and environmental management
Specific elements in design to meet environmental expectations (for example, fauna pass etc.).
Minimum Requirements: Company Profile
Minimum period of operation
Approximately 10 years as a head contractor.
Good general performance on R4/R4 contracts.
Third party JAS-ANZ certification of the following:
- Quality Management System to ISO 9001.
- OH&S (WHS) Management System to AS/NZS4801 or OHSAS 18001.
- Environmental Management System to ISO 14001.
Accreditation under the Australian Government’s Building and Construction OH&S Accreditation Scheme is deemed to satisfy the WHS (OHS) requirement for prequalification at all levels.
Where third party certification of management systems is required for categories R1 /B1, independent auditor that assesses the Applicant’s management systems against the checklists or certifies the Integrated Management System must be:
- a conformity assessment body accredited by the Joint Accreditation System for Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) to the relevant standard, or
- registered by Exempla Global (or equivalent), with experience in the civil construction industry.
Third party certificates must state that the certification specifically applies to road / bridge construction. A reference to other categories alone (eg civil construction) is insufficient.
Minimum Requirements: Company Experience
Experience in successfully delivering contracts
Sound experience with at least two R4/B4 projects in the last five years.
- Demonstrated a sound understanding of the principles of project management.
- Demonstrated successful utilisation of project management.
- Utilises a project-specific project management plan for R5 – type contracts or higher.
Has successfully participated in partnering/relationship management at a level relevant to category R5 and demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness.
- Structured approach to community/stakeholder engagement.
- Evidence of successful community/stakeholder engagement activities on relevant past projects – few complaints.
- Adequate sample/example communications plans and documented strategies.
- Adequate evidence of meetings/workshops, surveys etc.
Utilisation of management systems
- Example Quality, WHS Environmental Management Plans are satisfactory.
- Compliance audits show systems are working and any non- conformances have been dealt with effectively.
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rates for the past three years are similar to industry averages.
- Workers compensation claims over an extended period of time are similar to industry averages.
- No instances of serious Improvement Notices/Infringement Notices in the areas of environment/WHS.
- Policy and a structured approach to management of consultants, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Referee comments are generally positive and no issues raised by referees regarding subcontractor management.
Occurrence of industrial relations disputes is similar to industry average.
- Some evidence of professional development /training.
- Readily available HR/IR manuals and policies.
Worksite traffic management performance
- Policies and/or procedures in place and key personnel are appropriately trained and accredited; or an established relationship with accredited Worksite traffic management subcontractor.
- Evidence of effective traffic management performance in relation to works of a similar nature to those in R5.
Minimum Requirements: Technical Capacity
Preferable minimum qualifications and experience of personnel
- Key personnel have the qualifications and experience relevant to the duties and responsibilities of their nominated position.
- At least half of the project managers are qualified civil engineers.
- At least half of the key professionals/para-professionals and key supervisory staff have 10 years experience and at least two years construction experience each in R4-type contracts.
Demonstrated capability to provide plant and equipment
The entity has demonstrated the capability to provide the plant and equipment required to properly resource R5 contracts.