Network Task Force
The Network Task Force's objective is to improve the efficient, reliable and safe operation of the road network.
The transport of people and goods is essential to the economic and social development of the community. Substantial investment is made in road networks to facilitate this.
The development and management of the road network is faced with several challenges:
- continuing growth in vehicle ownership and usage
- increasing traffic congestion in urban areas
- trends toward larger (and more efficient) freight vehicles
- continuing concern for safety improvements
- increasing concern about environmental impacts.
The central challenge is to address these often conflicting issues in a manner that balances economic, social and environmental objectives appropriately. The effective management of the road transport system is fundamental to making the best use of the existing road network.
The Network Task Force, which has representatives from state and territory road agencies, and the Australian Local Government Association, coordinates research that is working towards:
- ITS architecture and protocols agreed nationally
- harmonisation of traffic system requirements
- network operating planning for all modes
- network operations performance measures
- National Cycling Strategy 2011-16 implementation
- standardised information services for users
- Guide to Traffic Management updated.
The Austroads research program runs from 2016-20, in line with the Strategic Plan and Operational Plan. The current network management projects are:
|BN2019||Safety at Road Worksites|
|NS2003||Network Operations Decision Support Tool: Requirements and Development|
|NEG1995||Network Performance Indicators|
|NEG2078||ITS Product Pilot of HITS Validation|
|NEG2079||Network Operations Planning Concept of Operations|
|NEG2080||Road Transport Management Framework and Principles|
|NEG6059||Benefits of Safety and Traffic Management Technologies (TIC Action 14)|
|NTM2081||Guide to Traffic Management Review|
|NTM6058||Strategic Review of Guide to Traffic Management|
|NEG6026||Standardisation of ITS Technology Asset Management Datasets|
|NTM6021||Safe System in Austroads Guide to Traffic Management|
|NTM6025||Passing Lanes – Safety and Performance|
The Network Task Force is part of the Austroads Network Program.
Program Manager: Natalie Lockwood
Program Coordinator: Judi Sorbie
Austroads | Level 9, 287 Elizabeth Street | Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: +61 2 8265 3334