Traffic and transport management play a key role in the realisation of government and community outcomes of mobility and places. Under limited road and footway space, there are often competing priorities between transport modes and adjacent land uses. A Network Operation Plan (NOP) aims to guide public and private road network managers in the integrated operation and development of the road transport network and systems under their responsibility towards contributing to their goals, objectives and outcomes by setting out how these competing priorities are to be managed.
The SmartRoads tool was originally developed by VicRoads to assist in the application of network operation planning.
- provides an interactive planning environment to visualise road use priorities, operation gaps and impacts of treatments
- facilitates the consistent application of the network operation planning framework including jurisdiction-specific specifications and standards
- assesses road network operations improvement opportunities for general traffic, buses, freight vehicles and active transport
- creates tables, figures and reports to support recommended improvements to the network.
Austroads project NS2003: Requirements and development of a NOP tool
The current SmartRoads tool developed by VicRoads is being increasingly adopted by jurisdictions as the basis for network operation planning. As SmartRoads gets applied in more varied context and as the application of network operation planning becomes more sophisticated, a need has been identified to develop the next generation tool. Austroads project NS2003 is an on-going project which will develop the business case and specification for the next generation NOP tool. Austroads project NS2003 will also support the application of the current SmartRoads tool, including upgrades and technical support.
Accessing the tool
Currently there are two versions available, version 6.2.6 and 7.1.3. Version 6.2.6 was developed by VicRoads. Subsequent to this version, ARRB developed version 7.1.3 to enhance the interface of version 6.2.6 with GIS tools. The purpose of version 7.1.3 was to facilitate the use of GIS tools to create/edit networks. Version 7.1.3 also allows users to export analysis outputs. The methodology and formulas in version 6.2.6 and version 7.1.3 are the same. Users of version 7.1.3 are suggested to review version 6.2.6 user manual to understand the method and formulas used.
SmartRoads version 6.2.6
SmartRoads version 7.1.3 (beta version)
- Download the tool with VicRoads configuration file | Zip 11Mb
- Download the tool with NZTA configuration file (note: the NZTA config file is a draft) | Zip 11Mb
- Download the supplementary user guide | PDf 1.6Mb
View a demonstration of version 7.1.3 here (note: the demonstration is on version 7.1.2; however, version 7.1.3 is the same as version 7.1.2 with minor modifications and the demonstration applies to version 7.1.3).
- Ability to generate network.csv files from shapefile
- Ability to export data and outputs in shapefile format
- Download the draft NZTA configuration file (for review/comment only) | Zip 210Kb
- Download the NZTA report on configuration for SmartRoads | PDF 585Kb
Feedback and support
Review the Help menu from within the tool.