The Austroads Guide to Road Safety examines road crash costs and road agencies’ duty of care to provide safe travel.
The advantages and disadvantages of different ways of measuring road safety are discussed, and these methods are used to illustrate progress in road safety in Austroads’ member jurisdictions in recent years.
The Safe System approach as the guiding principle for road safety management is explained, along with the merits of an evidence-based approach to selected road safety countermeasures.
The Guide to Road Safety is published in nine parts:
- Part 1: Road Safety Overview
- Part 2: Road Safety Strategy and Evaluation
- Part 3: Speed Limits and Speed Management
- Part 4: Local Government and Community Road Safety
- Part 5: Road Safety for Rural and Remote Areas
- Part 6: Road Safety Audit
- Part 7: Road Network Crash Risk Assessment and Management
- Part 8: Treatment of Crash Locations
- Part 9: Roadside Hazard Management
The guide can be purchased as individual parts or a set in hardcopy or PDF.
Australian and New Zealand road agencies and local councils
Austroads members can download PDF versions of the Guides for free. This includes all state and territory road agencies and local councils in Australia and New Zealand.
In support of the Decade of Road Safety Action Austroads will make the Guide to Road Safety freely available in PDF form to countries and government bodies engaged in not-for-profit initiatives in the Asia Pacific region.